On 21st October the society welcomed Julie Small for a workshop giving hints and tips on graphite pencil work. Julie is an experienced tutor and has been awarded a Gold Medal by the RHS for a series of graphite pencil drawings. Julie’s work has also been used to illustrate books on botanical art. Julie brought along some of her work for us to see.
The society will once again have a stand at Art Materials Live at the NEC which is open from 1st – 4th November. On display will be work in watercolour, coloured pencil and graphite. Members of the society will be demonstrating each day.
Kew Exhibition – three exhibitions which are on until 17th March 2019
- Mark Frith: a legacy of ancient oaks. Portraits that highlight the architectural beauty of tree trunks, bark and branches in winter.
- Trees: delight in detail.
- Botanical Theatre: the art of Pandora Sellars (1936 – 2017) Colourful and detailed plant portraits.
Society member Jane Edwards has an exhibition at Winterbourne House and Garden, Edbaston Park Road, Birmingham B15 2RT.
The exhibition ‘Recent Drawings’ is on until 16th October. The gardens at Winterbourne are looking stunning so well worth a visit.
Our next meeting on 16th September is a ‘Painting Day’ all are welcome.
Guy William Eves tutored a workshop on 18th August. Guy began by giving some background into his life before botanical drawing took over. He explained that he draws living specimens, intricately setting up the stem and flowers into what will be the final composition. He very very rarely uses photographs. Guy then demonstrated his technique using a variety of graphite pencils some with sharp points others cut at angles and using small lines. This showed his patience and eye for detail. It was then our turn to try the technique.
Members of our society have paintings in exhibitions during August and September.
- Worcester Open Studios – 25th – 27th August, Sue Wilson and Jan Mason
- The Birmingham Watercolour Society Summer Exhibition at Hanbury Hall, Droitwich until 30th September – Sue Wilson, Jo Lloyd and Jeni Neale
- Winterbourne House and Garden, Birmingham B15 2RT from 31st August – 16th October – Jane Edwards ‘Recent Drawings’
- Canons Ashby, Nr Daventry 28th September – 3rd October. Jenny Major – Artist in Residence
Workshops with Jeni Neale
- 22nd September – Orchard Fruits
- 24th &25th November – Pods, Cones and Seeds. Venue for both is Winterbourne House and Gardens (Tel. 0121 414 3003 – contact the venue to book a place)
- 3rd October 2018 and 26th January 2019 – Westhope College, Shropshire (Tel 01584 861293 – contact the venue to book a place)
The photograph was taken at Castle Bromwich Hall Garden on 11th July, it shows members (those present were Jane, Jennifer and Colin) with some of the visitors who joined us for ‘The Mid-Week Draw’. A relaxed drawing session on the second Wednesday of each month now in its second year. Some of our visitors have become regulars – we meet to draw and paint, chat, have a cup of tea with no pressure, no tuition just advice if requested as some are experienced artists but not botanical artists.
The RHS Botanical Art Show was inspirational as usual. The ‘Association of British Botanical Artists’ (ABBA) had a promotional stand. ABBA was established in 2017 to gather together a body of work from British artists for the 2018 world wide day of botanical art. The organisation would like to continue and were asking people to express interest by filling in a form. This form is also available on line at www.britishbotanicalartists.com Currently they are finding out how much interest there is filling in and sending the form does not commit you. There will not be any selection process for membership which is expected to cost £45/annum. ABBA is aimed at linking people to native plants through botanical art and they hope to hold workshops and exhibitions.
- Jonathan Cooper Gallery, Park Walk, Chelsea SW10 – An exhibition which includes work by botanical artists
- Transylvanian Florelegium Exhibition is now on until the end of August 10am – 5pm. Romanium Cultural Institute, 1 Belgrave Square SW1